Having grown up in West Kelowna, Jeffrey Zilkowsky (Jeff) achieved his Bachelor of Arts from what is now UBC-O; he graduated with distinction and in the top 1% of his graduating class. He worked in the construction industry during his undergraduate education.
Jeff then began his legal education at the University of Alberta, where he was the recipient of the Merv Leitch, Q.C. Memorial Scholarship for leadership and academic achievement. Jeff transferred to the University of Victoria to complete his legal studies, graduating in 2009. He then articled at a well-respected criminal defence firm in Vancouver and was called to the bar in May 2010.
Evidenced by his volunteer experiences and his regular blog, which is posted on www.castanet.net, Jeff is committed to helping and assisting others. Jeff now directs that energy towards helping people with their family and civil litigation issues.
When not in the office, you will find Jeff either running or swimming.
- Successfully defended at trial a relocation application, allowing the child to continue living with her supportive parent in British Columbia;
- Successfully prevented in court an abusive parent from having further parenting time with the children;
- Successfully removed a passively aggressive partner from the family’s home, post-separation;
- Successfully resolved a highly contentious and emotional proceeding involving both property division issues and parenting issues at mediation; and
- Successfully and efficiently resolving high net worth files before trial, involving several properties and significant financial assets.
Memberships & Professional Associations:
- 2013 – present: Personal Silver Donor to Trial Lawyers Association of BC
- 2013 – present: Supervise UBC Law students in running criminal law trials
- 2013 – present: Mentor to UBC Law students
- 2012 – present: Okanagan College – Legal Assistant Program, guest lecturer on legal ethics, family law, and personal injury law
- 2011 – present: Access Pro Bono Clinic, Kelowna and New Westminster
- 2011 – present: Castanet News, columnist to assist public with legal issues
- 2014 and 2015: Guest lawyer discussing legal issues on CKNW and CBC Radio
- 2011 – 2013: Salvation Army Pro Bono Clinic, Kelowna
- 2011 – 2013: Restorative Justice Program, Okanagan Boys and Girls Club
- 2007 – 2009: Legal Information Clinic Volunteer, University of Victoria
- 2009 Bachelor of Laws, University of Victoria, Victoria, BC
- 2005 Bachelor of Arts, University of British Columbia, Kelowna, BC
- Merv Leitch, Q.C. Memorial Scholarship for Leadership & Academic Achievement
- West Kelowna Chamber of Commerce – Community Social Development Award 2011
- Canadian Bar Association – British Columbia Branch – Community Service Award 2012
Year of Call & Jurisdiction:
- Called to the Bar in British Columbia, 2010