David has been providing family law services and helping families resolve their conflicts in British Columbia, the Lower Mainland and the Fraser Valley for over 40 years. David’s extensive family law experience includes representing clients as well as consulting on various aspects of family law reform in British Columbia. David is transitioning his practice and is now senior associate counsel available to consult with other CBM family lawyers.
David also served as a BC Provincial Family Court judge from 1973 – 1977.
Memberships & Professional Affiliations:
- Canadian Bar Association activities in all areas, including Continuing Legal Education and the Family Law Subsection.
- Committee Member of the Family Law Subsection, CBA BC Branch
- New Supreme Court Family Rules from 2008 to present
- Submissions to Government on proposed Family Law Act 2010
- Proposed Code of Conduct for Family Law Practitioners
2006 – Lecturer and/or presenter with Continuing Legal Education BC on Family Law matters
Community Involvement/Personal Interests/Hobbies:
David and his wife, Jane, have five children, and seven grandchildren, and have been living in South Surrey since 1995. David has been Director of the Junior Chamber of Commerce in Nanaimo and the BC Arbitration and Mediation Society, as well as President of the Nanaimo Chamber of Commerce. He has also been active in the community of performing arts, serving as Director of the Vancouver Ballet Society, Ballet BC and the Waterfront Theatre, and the community association of the Friends of Peace Arch Park.
- Preparatory School Hurstpierpoint College – to Grade 13 Sussex, England
- Admitted as a solicitor to the Supreme Court of England – December 1959
- Admitted to the Law Society of British Columbia – May 1961
- Called to the Bar in British Columbia – May 1962
- to 1970 Associate and later partner with Miller Currie / Strongitharm Miller Currie & Hart, Nanaimo, BC
- 1970 to 1973 Associate counsel, family law practice only, Boughton Anderson & Company, Vancouver, BC
- 1973 to 1977 Judge – Provincial Court of BC, Family Division
- 1972 to 1975 Consultant with Berger Commission on Family Law
- 1978 to 1998 Sole Practitioner (Family Law), Vancouver, BC
- 1998 to 2004 Part-time Associate Counsel (Family Law), Campbell Burton & McMullan LLP, Langley, BC
- Concurrently 1998 to 2004 Sole Practitioner, Family Law, Vancouver, BC
- 2004 to 2015 Full-time Associate Counsel (Family Law) with Campbell Burton & McMullan LLP, Langley, BC
- 2015 to present Senior Associate Counsel available to consult with CBM family lawyers